Welcome to Fountain of Travel!
My name is Helena and I am the author of this blog. Fountain of Travel was created to share all things travel with like-minded people (and also because my family are getting bored of my constant ramblings about travel…). Read on to find out more about me!
I am originally from Sweden and have had restless feet for as long as I can remember. My very first trip abroad was as a small child to Germany with my family and I wrote my first travel journal when I was 7. It was about 1 page long but started a tradition of writing travel journals that I uphold til this day. I remember all those early holidays with my family and the excitement that would build up every year and culminate the night before the trip. We went to Germany a lot and it’s still a country I hold dear. Fast forward a few years and my family began to explore more of Europe; we went to Paris, Budapest, Dublin….and I loved it!
I knew from a quite early age that I didn’t want to settle in my home village and therefore moved out at the age of 15 to study in a nearby town. It was scary to live by myself but I also loved the freedom. At the age of 18 I moved to Denmark to start college. After 2 years in Denmark I had restless feet again and transferred to university in Manchester, UK where I still live.
I graduated a few years ago and now work a 9-to-5 desk job in Manchester. My job is great and I try to combine it with as much travel as I can afford. Sweden is obviously a frequent destination, but I try to fit in a couple of trips abroad every year and a few day trips around the UK too. I spend most of my free time researching my next trip; in my most visited websites you’ll find everything from travel blogs to booking.com! I now want to share all that research and turn Fountain of Travel into an inspiring travel community. I want anyone to be able to come here for ideas for their next trip and also get more information about expat life. Among other things, there will be itinerary suggestions, tales from my trips and ideas for dream holidays.
facts about me
- I love eating but hate cooking. Convinced that I could live the rest of my life on noodles and cookies (not combined).
- One of my favourite feelings is when I walk into an airport; it’s a concoction of excitement, adrenaline and freedom.
- Whenever possible, I buy either an illustration or a post card with a printed illustration from every destination I visit.
- I would always pick a city or the countryside over a beach. Pale Scandinavian skin burns. Just saying.
- My first solo trip was to Shanghai and it was a huge cultural shock but also absolutely amazing at the same time.
- The best place I’ve ever visited is a tie between Berlin and Riga.
Now, your turn! Please leave comments on the posts and let me know who you are, happy reading!
Also read my introduction to Fountain of Travel here.